Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Journey to Bluefields


after a week in managua I was glad to leave!! We hopped on a bus late at night to head out to Bluefields. The bus was an old school bus that was packed with people, luggage, and bad local music.
It was a 6 hour bus ride and way uncomfortable. since it was dark, there was no scenery. I ended up passing out for most of the trip though. the ride was finally over at about 5am. Then we had to wait 2 hours in this shack filled with church pews for our Boat to arrive. Again i managed to sleep, and this time on a hard wooden bench. It's funny to me how the older I get, the easier it is to sleep in random places.
Finally the boat is ready to go. A guy starts shouting off names. My new name apparently was Evan Joseph. when we finally were ready to board there was no room on the boat. They had to go through one by one and figure out who was a stow-away. Lucky for us, the stow-away was big enough to take up 2 seats. They gave him the boot and we were off. The boat ride was something straight out of a Rambo movie. there were about 15 people on the boat, it had benches and a plastic tarp for a roof. I was really excited for this part of the journey, and turns out it was the worst part really. There was nothing for us to lean back against, so basically it got really uncomfortable quick. I was worried about my studio monitors in my suitcase cause when we hit waves it felt like the boat might break. There was no scenery other then the occasional shack on stilts by the water. Just Jungle and bush everywhere. Alas 2 hours later, and a aching back, we made it to Bluefields.

No comments: